An experiment to see how to design a complicated outline with a lot of outlines
Short summary after finishing rev. 1:
- Owl drawn in Inkscape and imported to CM
- Programming header is just used for the pinout, and since I did not want the through-hole I modified the footprint in the pcbdoc.
- The xmega is total overkill, but I like xmegas and wanted something with enough pins to make a cool pattern
- The footprint for the (inverted) NeoPixels are not connected to anything so I will need to do some strapping to get that up and running.
- The USB is not at the edge of the PCB, so if I ever use it I will need to angle the connector when soldering it on.
- All in all a not at all perfect pcb-design job with a resulting look that I really like and hope will look good!
- Sorry about the bad project title, this was just a test and I did not know I could not rename it.
After waiting a month for the PCB, I must say I am really happy about the first revision!
- Outline OK, the rounded inner corners are not as bad as I feared.
- Pin explosion pattern works well as structure in the wings
- LEDs behind the eyes work well, not sure why the bottom has plating
- Forgot that the xmega A4U does not run on 5V, so should have had a regulator on the back
- 130mm wide is a bit large for a board with no real purpose, I should stay below 100x100mm
Onwards to rev. 2!
- Resized to 100x77mm
- ATmega4808 32-pin TQFP, for 5V and other fun stuff
- 4x tactile buttons on the back
- Dual NMOS for lowside switching of whatever
- Lots of small improvements on outline and overlay
Rev. 2 has been ordered with DHL shipping so it might actually arrive this month...